Alabama Policital Attack Ad Mocks Evolution?

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 10:33 PM Bookmark and Share
I've been including a lot of definitions in posts lately, so here's another one inspired by this post over at Panda's Thumb.
Poe's Law
  1. The eponymous law of the internet, that "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humour, it is impossible to create a parody of [religious] fundamentalism that someone won't mistake for the real thing."
  2. "Poe’s Law also has an inverse meaning, stating that non-fundamentalists will often mistake sincere expressions of fundamentalist beliefs for parody."[Source]
Here's an example of what I'm really hoping is a case of #1, but sadly appears to be a case of #2...


Please someone tell me this is either a joke, or that the candidate behind the attack is unlikely to ever hold the Governor's office!  Who might that be?? I'm guessing Tim James -- yes that same Tim James who wants Alabama to be English-only.

Seriously, it almost makes me want to send a campaign donation to Bradley Byrne... almost.

Click here for an update.

5 comments:

Posted by: Unknown | 5/12/2010 2:16 PM

Don't get your hopes up. Byrne has posted a rebuttal on his website that with make your wallet snap shut faster than a Utricularia bladder:

http://byrneforalabama.com/news/byrne_says_untrue_attack_about_his_faith_is_an_affront_to_all_believers/

Pay particular attention to paragraphs 9 and 10.

Unfortunately I heard rumor that this ad was funded by a PAC that is partially funded by other PACs including the Teachers Union.

Sigh...

Posted by: Paul | 5/12/2010 2:33 PM

Thanks for the link, Roger. Sad that his response includes statements like...

"As a member of the Alabama Board of Education, the record clearly shows that I fought to ensure the teaching of creationism in our school text books."

...but maybe given that it's Alabama, we should expect that sort of thing.

And no worries - the thought left my mind way before I could reach for my wallet. ;)

Posted by: Paul | 5/12/2010 2:36 PM

Also, Roger, has this been in the news much in AL and if so, how is the public response looking?

Posted by: Unknown | 5/13/2010 3:00 PM

The ads are on TV every night....multiple times (at least when I usually watch TV between 6 and 9pm).
I have not heard very much public grumbling nor praise for the ads. I think many folks realize it is the usual mudslinging that goes on whenever there is an election. Of course I don't hang out with too many fundamentalists (at least the closed minded types).

Posted by: Boston Packing Service | 7/23/2022 7:38 PM

Appreciate your blog poost

Post a Comment