In the meantime, I thought I'd start things off with a quick summary on my thoughts of the "Museum", and hopefully a little insight into the messages that I would assume a lot of folks probably take away from the place.
First, the "Museum" (or the Creation ministry, as I might refer to it below) is run by Answers in Genesis, a non-profit (ahem...) Christian apologetics ministry that believes in a literal interpretation of the Bible (at least some of it, Genesis in particular).
Their stated goal is NOT to run a real museum based upon honest, empirical facts and good science. Instead, their mission (as given on their website) is ...
Goal: To support the church in fulfilling its commissionNot surprisingly, the big "take home messages" from today's visit seem to be the following:
Vision: Answers WorldWide is the Missionary Arm of Answers in Genesis. Our purpose is to provide the “global Christian” with answers for his faith (1 Peter 3:14) and to expose the world to the Creator God of the Bible.
- We take the absolute truth and authority of the Bible to the world.
- We teach the relevance of a literal Genesis to the mission fields of the world.
- We obey God’s call for global evangelism for all ethnic groups in the world.
- Science is wrong about things like geology, biology, astronomy, etc. and
- the Bible is indisputably correct, and in some cases can even be proven correct.
So what are some examples? Here are a couple from the displays in the lobby - before you even get into the "museum" proper!